Sunday, July 03, 2005

Happy Independence Day - Southern Style

So apparently when the 4th doesn't land on a day these people here care for - they simply change it. All the big fireworks shows were last night - Happy 2nd of July... and the truth is if you think about it, I guess these people have their freakin independence if they change the rules as they please. Saturdays do make a more convenient holiday.

W (the roomie) has gone back to Cali for the next week so Georgia (the dog) and I cruised the apartment complex looking to see if we could find a place where we could see the works without having to drive anywhere. We live right next to a huge park where they shoot them off. We rounded a corner to find a group of neighbors boozing it up on the steps and trying to burn some sort of meat on a BBQ (these are the things I have found to love about the south - the party is never planned). I was offered a beer in under 5 seconds flat (isn't that the sweetest), but already had one in hand (duh). We have a great building of people who are all very friendly and all know Georgia by name, Im just the girl from California who owns Georgia. We ended up sitting out there for I don't know how many hours or how many pitchers of margarita, there was even some "moonshine" or "homemade wine" as they chose to call it. I got to listen to the debate of the differences between hillbillies and rednecks (sorry - still cant tell you the difference), I got to see a boy pee on the tree (which was future than just walking inside!), I got to see some real-life "wrasslin" in the grass by the drunks and I got to listen to a debate on which handguns are easier to keep in your car. Why do I leave home without a notepad?

A good buzz and 40 mosquito bites later, I was home. I think I'll wander out again this evening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rose-Colored Beer Goggles said...

V, ya gotta getcha one them mini tape recorders that looks like a bracelet or watch. No need for a notepad!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fantastic, Vonnie. Isn't the South just the shit? And yes, you do need a secret tape recorder to get all the good stuff. Hee hee.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...you are so going to have their two headed children.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home